Task force/Alliances and Partnerships
| The task force process is completed. Some task forces may be reconstituted to discuss incomplete issues.
Please discuss on the Village Pump.
Relevant Wikimedia-pedia Articles
Participants should be sure they're familiar with the relevant background material. They should also work to identify gaps and collect and summarize more information as it becomes available.
Suggested recommendation from Sara Crouse, Head of Foundation Relations:
Proposal:Alliances and partnerships
The following are stub pages for this task force's recommendations:
Task force/Recommendations/Alliances and partnerships 1 "Alliances 1"
- Witty lama
- Sara Crouse
- Lucien leGrey
- Durova 00:32, 23 November 2009 (UTC)
Supporting: John Fowler and Philippe Beaudette
Alliances and partnerships could be important mechanisms to advance Wikimedia's mission, but the Foundation is under-staffed to develop and manage partnerships and chapters and volunteers are not well-supported to develop them on their own.
The task force should develop answers to these questions to help guide their work:
- What assets can Wikimedia leverage to form alliances and partnerships to further its mission?
- What types of partnerships has the Wikimedia movement formed to date re: content sources, technology infrastructure, revenue streams (included in-kind), outreach, innovations (e.g. mobility), and contributors?
- What can be learned from our past experience in forming these partnerships? What are best case examples of effective partnerships that could serve as models in the community?
- What types of partnerships are critical to advancing Wikimedia's mission?
- What types of partnerships should volunteers, the Wikimedia Chapters, and the Wikimedia Foundation be responsible for launching and sustaining?
- What tools, governance, and supports are needed from the Foundation to make it simple for volunteers and Chapters to create and sustain partnerships?
- Who is needed to support this strategy (e.g., Wikimedia Foundation, chapters, individual volunteers, external partners), and what do they need to do?
Preliminary discussion regarding these questions.
Task force notes
Ok - less than a month to go. We need 2-4 good recommendations!
Unless anyone has any better ideas - here's the rough breakdown of where I think the discussion has led us,
- "Alliances 1" - general (overarching all partnership)
- "Alliances 2" - specific
- "Partnerships 1" - general (overarching all partnerships)
- "Partnerships 2" - specific to a particular aspect (e.g. projects, issue)
Witty lama 13:36, 17 December 2009 (UTC)