Proposal talk:Connectivity (Internationalize the russian/ukrainian project "Connectivity")
|"Some proposals will have massive impact on end-users, including non-editors. Some will have minimal impact. What will be the impact of this proposal on our end-users?". The level of discussion of this proposal is: 1|
I think that impact of this proposal can't be seen directly by End user, but proposed ideas offers a brand new level of maintaining wikipedia projects and of quality ratings. --Rave 19:58, 24 September 2009 (UTC)
I haven't understood anything: are you proposing to add more interwikis? What does «improve connectivity» mean? Nemo 18:11, 24 September 2009 (UTC)
- I’m participant of this project in ru.wiki and i’ll try to explain. It’s not about interwiki. The goal of proposal is to increase amount of links between articles, usually it means «We want to make a path from Main page to any article with wiki-links». All articles of main namespace are divided to:
- Normal articles. All of them are connected in one big «Main» cluster and there is a way from each article to each another article of this cluster (by clicking wiki-links).
- Isolated articles — this is common name for all articles, which are unbound from main cluster. It means, that there are no links from any article from «Main cluster» of normal articles to isolated article.
- Orphan articles — Single articles, which has wiki-links, but haven’t «whatlinkshere» articles at all. Thus, orphan articles are unreachable from any other article.
- Isolated clusters. Isolated cluster is a group of articles with linked topics or about one wide topic. Articles inside isolated cluster are linked with each other and has links to articles of «Main cluster», but all of them haven’t links from «Main cluster». Isolated articles are hard to detect manually.
- Dead-end articles — articles without any wiki-links to another articles, unless they may have links from another articles. Usually dead-end articles are just created and their authors are new or anonymous users.
- So, the main goal of «Connectivity» project is to link all articles of main namespace in one big cluster with wiki-paths from each article to each another one. Participants of project are already developed a rich arsenal of useful utilites and solved some secondary tasks too. Statistics said, that total amount of articles in ru.wiki are about 430.000. ~20.000 of them are isolated. Sizes of isolated clusters are from 2 to (sometimes) 40 articles. Dead-end articles are already almost wiped out.Please see the scope of project at toolserver for details. I'm ready to answer too. --Rave 19:08, 24 September 2009 (UTC)
- ...Interwiki helps us to solve the problem (see iwiki spy on the site)... And we work with categorisation too.
- Also described above, we can distinguish non-articles in the main namespace.
- In general, the project I propose to internationalize is quite large, and more details situated on toolserver's pages. Here I tried to be laconical. Does recent explanations clarify the essence? Lvova Anastasiya 19:24, 24 September 2009 (UTC)
Do you consider categories a wiki path? In that case you would just have to see to it that Special:UncategorizedPages doesn't list any pages. Otherwise, what exactly is the goal? You might want to define "path" in this context. --Fasten 18:27, 29 October 2009 (UTC)